How to Add Variations for Your Product Listings
Product variations are the attributes used during checkout to identify specific products. If you offer different variations for an item within the same listing, you can add these as variations.
You can offer up to two types of variations for each listing. For example, if you sell a shirt with different sizes and colors, you can specify these in that shirt listing’s variations.
Working with Variations
Creating a New Variation Group
Let’s say you have added a new product to your store, and now you want to create variations for it. You can do it right on the product page as an admin:
- Open the Variations tab on the page of the product.
- Click Add variations. You can add variations for up to two item attributes (eg. Color, Size)
- Enter a name of a feature in the Create new products tab. If a feature exists in your store, you’ll be offered to use it.
Add Variants for your features.
- Click Create. The variations will be generated automatically.
Сombining Products into a Variation Group
Let’s say you have imported products to your store, and now you want to put some of them in one group. It will allow your customers to choose a product while switching between the variations, and not to get confused by identical products with different feature variants. To do this:
- Open the Variations tab on the product editing page.
- Click Add variations.
- Go to the Use existing products tab. You can see all of the identical products here.
The list will display the products that meet three following conditions:
- same category;
- same features, but different variants;
4. Select the products you need, and click Add variations.
Management and Removal
Once a variation group is created, all products from the group will appear on the Variations tab of any product in the group. On this tab you can:
- See which variations have their own catalog item, and which don’t. A variation that doesn’t appear on the product list has a smaller icon.
- Choose which of the variations to display by default as the catalog item.
Other variations will borrow many of their properties from the variation that is selected as default.
- Remove a variation from the group; this will turn the variation into an independent product.
- Delete the variation.
- Change the group code—you can use it later to add other products to this group as variation.
- Add more variations to the group.
- Switch to the product list to edit variations there—that way you’ll be able to edit and remove variations in bulk.
- Disband the group—turn all its variations into independent products and remove the ability to switch between them on the product page.